The United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners was founded on the first charter implemented in 1946 and subsequently ended in June of 1915.
However, a New Charter under the same Local number of 1946 was implemented on October 17th of 1915.Twenty-one members established Local 1946, under the leadership of President Joseph Readman and Christopher Effinger as Secretary. Slowly yet surely throughout the 1950’s, Carpenters, Drywall and Millwrights joined the Local, and in December of 1961 fellow Carpenters Locals in St. Thomas and Woodstock consolidated with Local 1946. On November 27th, 1973, Drywall and Lathers’ Union Local 1316 merged and would join Local 1946 on January 25, 1995.
Though it is unknown if Union Members had a traditional Union Hall in the very early years, many meetings were held at the Trade and Labour Temple on King St. There is a long history of spaces that were rented prior to the construction of our current Union Hall, these include:
• 523 First St. (Basement of Plumbers Hall) – until 1994
• 4363 Exeter Rd. Unit F – from 1994 to 1996
• 189 Exeter Rd. Unit F – from 1996 to 2006
In 2006, a property was purchased on 105 Enterprise Dr. South and served as Local 1946’s hall until we moved into the new, state-of-the-art Union.